Stow Presbyterian Church (SPC) was founded as a daughter church of the United Presbyterian Church on Hudson Drive in Cuyahoga Falls. The first worship service was held at the Stow Town Hall on March 8, 1959, with succeeding services at Woodland School. The congregation was officially organized by the Cleveland Presbytery on February 14, 1960. Rev James Potter was the first Pastor.
The original constructed church building, which still stands today was dedicated on February 14, 1962. The first service in that building was held on September 23, 1962. Additional construction started in 1967 adding a fellowship hall and classrooms. The congregation enrollment at that time was 362. In 1998, another hall with classrooms below was added. In 2008, a 16,000 square foot building was added that included a worship center, classrooms, and a new lobby with a café.
During Dr. David Weyrick’s leadership, in 2006, the church voted to separate from the PCUSA and became an independent Presbyterian church until 2018. Then in September 2018, during the leadership of our Pastor, Rev. Robert Stanley, we officially became an Evangelical Presbyterian Church.
We are a congregation rich in ministry, service, and worship within the Stow Community and beyond. Over the past 60 years, the congregation has participated in numerous Mission trips that include West Virginia, South Dakota, Alaska, and even to Ukraine.
When the pandemic started in 2020, where many Churches struggled, SPC did fairly well. The online “streaming” of our services was top-notch and recognized by the officers of the EPC. Currently, members have the weekly option of in-person or online worship. Gradually, post-pandemic, we have started to reach out to our members and the community again. In 2016, the membership at SPC was 202, presently the enrollment consists of 135 dedicated members.
We are a “gathered church” as the membership stretches across several communities that include Stow/Munroe Falls, Kent, Cuyahoga Falls, Silver Lake, Hudson, Akron, Tallmadge and others.
60 Years of Leadership at SPC
Timeline of our leaders over the course of the church's operation:
- 1959-1966 Rev. James Potter
- 1966-1970 Rev. Lloyd Alamsha
- 1971-1975 Rev. Howard V. Crowder
- 1976-1990 Rev. Charles Evans
- 1991-1992 Rev. Dennis Witt
- 1992-2015 Dr. David Weyrick
- 2013-2020 Rev. Robert Stanley
- 2006-2020 Wally Kukuk, Minister of Care